[CentOS] software raid

David A. Woyciesjes david.woyciesjes at yale.edu
Thu Mar 29 13:29:32 UTC 2007

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>    I've got a 4.4 box that i'd like to implement software raid on. Does
> anyone have any experiences with this?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

	I'm going to be setting up a machine at home, for keeping backup copies
of my data & software. For various reasons (work being one) the "server"
is going to be a dual boot W2K/Linux machine, and I'll have MacOSX, W2K,
and Linux clients accessing this over the network. I'll probably just
fire up NFS for this.
	I have a 60GB drive, and 2 80GB drives for it. I'll be adding in a
Rosewill RC-200 PCI ATA/133 card for the 80GB drives. It says it does
RAID, but that is probably one of those fake-RAID deals. Anybody use
this card? Since it's likely not real RAID, my plan is to have on 80GB
drive formatted as ext3, then use rsync daily to back that up to the
other 80GB drive. Then I can use something like EXT2 IFS (from
fs-driver.org) in W2K if/when I need to access the backup drives.
	I thought about a software RAID1 in Linux ext3 format, but the EXT2IFS
driver probably wouldn't be able to read that, right?
	Then, to make things interesting, I have an external 300GB drive with
NTFS format. This contains the portable copy of the data store. :) Not
too much of an issue, since Linux can read NTFS fine. Or am I wrong
here? Should I flip this to Ext3, considering my other thoughts on this
setup?

--
--- David Woyciesjes