[CentOS] nvidia drivers

bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at
Thu Mar 29 13:58:13 UTC 2007

    KS> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
    >> Karanbir Singh wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> when you tried it, what problem did you have ?
    >> It won't compile on a Xen enabled kernel ...
    >>

    KS> what version are you using ? I've got the nvidia drivers
    KS> working for me here on the Xen kernel ( x86_64 ) but I've not
    KS> downloaded a newer one, so whatever was on my machine from
    KS> months back, just rebuilt and works.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but as we're talking about rebuilding
the drivers for new kernels:

 - has anyone written
 - or is aware

of such a solution:

a script that during booting
 - checks whether the nVidia-driver is present
 - rebuilds it unattended, if it is not
so that the user always gets a graphic login, even after
kernel-updates.

I'm aware that rebuilding kernel-modules without human supervision is
not a good idea, but rebuilding the graphics-driver on a number of
workstations after each kernel-update is annoying (especially if you
can't do it on all of them at the same time, because people are
... working on them)

I know, that the script should not be hard to write, but I don't want
to duplicate any work that has been done before (especially if there
is a "standard"-way of doing this, which I was to stupid to find)