[CentOS] Cups issue - keeps re-writing cupsd.conf and mime.types

Bisbal, Prentice PBisbal at LexPharma.com
Thu Mar 29 14:11:48 UTC 2007

It would be easy to write a script to do that. You could have it start
at boot time, and run every 10-15 minutes by adding a sleep statement at
the end of the loop, or having it run every 10-15 minutes as a cron job.
I prefer the cron method.

The script could compare mtimes or calculate and compare checksums of
the files, and when every they differ, overwrite the new ones with the
*.working ones. Very easy to do, if you know some simple shell
scripting.

--
Prentice

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Justin Barth
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:11 AM
To: CentOS at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] Cups issue - keeps re-writing cupsd.conf and
mime.types

Hi,
My Centos 4.4 server at home is serving a Samsung SCX-4521F printer,
which the *nix and Win clients connect to through ipp. Every so often
(maybe once a month), the cupsd.conf and mime.types files are updated,
which makes the printer unavailable to the clients.
My fix so far has been to stop cups, overwrite the files with
cupsd.conf.working and mime.types.working (these are backup files of the
originial working files), then start cups.
Now my question is - how simple would it be to make a bash script that
will monitor if the files have been updated, then perform the above
actions automatically? Or, how would I stop the files from being updated
in the first place?
I seem to remember coming across an article about cups-config-daemon,
which can update the files occasionally - I have disabled
cups-config-daemon in chkconfig, but somehow these 2 files are still
being updated.

Thanks for any advice!

-justin