[CentOS] Re: software raid

Jim Thario jim at thario.net
Thu Mar 29 17:42:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

Software RAID doesn't care about primary or secondary, as you found out.
You might care.

The risk is how one of the two drives on a single IDE channel might
fail. For example, let's say the interface on a drive fails and
electrically shorts the signals on the cable. This would prevent the
other working drive from communicating on the channel as well. This has
never happened to me and it is completely up to your comfort level where
the redundancy ends.

Thanks,
Jim