[CentOS] software raid

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:50:28 UTC 2007

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

>> The large SAN vendors usually don't recommend building raid5 sets
>> larger than 6-8 disks, and will stripe or concatenate multiple of
>> those on the typical SAN with 100s of spindles.    Myself, I'll stick
>> with RAID10 for anything critical.
>
> Would that I had the money to and still get the space I need.  Even
> doing 2 12 disk RAID6 sets (each with a hot spare) gets you 9TB which is
> 50% more space for the same money as RAID10.

You are omitting the cost of the raid controller here. For your 12+
ports you don't have much other choice except a dedicated network
device.  For the size that normal people need - or that you might use on
other machines, you might have the option of running raid10 (or 0 + LVM)
in software on the motherboard ports plus some dumb $20/port cards and
buying several extra drives.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com