[CentOS] Help with fdformat

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Mar 31 00:42:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:40:15PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At: http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php
>
> the following command is supplied near the bottom:
>
> **fdformat /dev/fd0u1722
> **
>

> I have plugged in my USB floppy drive and have a /media/floppy
>
> I get no such file or directory with this command.  And what is this
> with a 1722 formatted floppy.  What I do a man fdformat, 1722 is not
> listed....

I just tried it on Centos-4.4 with a USB floppy drive. It actually goes
with my son's laptop, so I've never used it before.

Anyway, I plug it in, stick in a floppy (with stuff already on it) and
boom, it mounts and pops up an icon on the screen. Cool!

unfortunately, I can't get fdformat (or 'floppy', either) to format
a diskette in it.

When it's mounted I can see:

/dev/sda on /media/floppy type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=fredex)

so I umount it and try:

	fdformat /dev/sda

and I get:

# fdformat /dev/sda
Could not determine current format type: Invalid argument

Tried the "floppy" command, also to no avail.

The only thing I've unearthed that works for formatting is to use
mformat. mformat writes a blank filesystem onto the floppy, BUT THE
DISKETTE MUST HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN LOW-LEVEL FORMATTED by some other tool.

I added this line to my /etc/mtools.conf config file:

	drive z: file="/dev/sda" exclusive mformat_only

and I could then run mformat (or other mtools) against the usb floppy
as if it were drive Z:

even though I don't routinely use this device, now that I've gotten into
it I'd be interested to know if anyone else knows (or figures out) how
to do a real low-level format on a USB floppy.

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?