[CentOS] New lists

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 1 03:55:50 UTC 2007

Steven Haigh wrote:
> Quoting MrKiwi <mrkiwi at gmail.com>:
>> John Summerfield wrote:
>>> I don't understand the current rationale for a single CentOS users'
>>>  list; probably in times past it was sensible, but I think the time
>>>  has come for splitting the list by release.
>>>
>>> I'm speaking from my own perspective, but I'm sure others have
>>> similar stories. How many users use all CentOS releases?
>> I totally agree John - as CentOS gets more popular i too have found
>> myself using 'Mark folder as Read' too often.
>
> This is a good thing. I've just left the Fedora Core mailing lists
> (users & devel) and the traffic didn't bother me at all. It's a great

Not everyone can have such a fine Internet connexion.

> Splitting by version is usually a bad idea. It causes things to split,
> people post the wrong version information to the wrong lists and it
> becomes a PITA. Hell, I've noticed enough people whinge and moan about
> top posting... Imagine that on someone posting a v5 question to a v4 list!

I thought it worked very well indeed with Red Hat Linux. I note that Red
Hat continues with that plan with RHEL.

>> A point that may mitigate the need to act now: I have seen the volume
>> of mail surge about t-2_months before the launch of v5 - and i wasnt
>> here for the launch of 4.0 -> 4.4, but would you not expect a lot of
>> noise to dissipate soon now we are t+2_weeks?
>
> This depends on your definition of noise. As long as the posts are
> CentOS related, I wouldn't care if there was 100 or 1000 posts per day.

1000 posts/day would certainly see me out. You're an obvious candidate
to remain on all lists. I'm battling with my modem's load right now, I'm
looking to cull what's less important.

--

Cheers
John