[CentOS] Sftp slow on both our centos installs

Matt Martz mdmartz at gflug.net
Tue May 1 12:58:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 1, 2007 12:34 am, Jamie Lists wrote:
> The short version.
> Copying over SFTP to our centos boxes maxes out at 2MB a sec.
>
> The Question:
> Is there some sort of speed limitation somewhere in the ssh/sftp daemon?
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?
>
> The long version
> We have centos 4.6 installed on 2 different machines, different
> hardware, different nics. Even on 2 different subnets.
>
> I've tried different switches, 1000 Full/Half 100 Full/Half and still
> get the same speed. It maxes out at 2MB a sec.
>
> Same switch, network, client using sftp to our xserves gets 10MB a
> sec. Basically filling the pipe of the network.
>
> The only thing that is the same on both the linux boxes is the distro.
> So i thought maybe someone may have come across this before.
>
> I haven't tried other protocols yet (FTP and HTTP) I'll check that
> tomorrow.
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie

I did some quick research on google a few min ago.  Thinking back I have
never seen higher than 2MB/s transfer speed using sftp between a Windows
and Linux machine.  I have however seen much higher transfer speeds using
sftp/scp between 2 linux machines.

A few people mentioned they believe the slowness is with the
implementation of sftp/scp/ssh in the Windows app.

Try doing an sftp or scp transfer between the 2 CentOS machines and look
at the transfer rate.  You could also try doing a transfer using Cygwin or
maybe some other win32 ports.  However it may just be somehting strange
with Windows.

...While typing this I figured I would do some additional testing.  I
downloaded VanDyke SecureFX (VanDyke has some of the best SSH
implementations I have seen for windows).  My transfer rate was approx
10MB/s on a 100Mbit connection.  Whereas with WinSCP and FileZilla it was
only approx 2MB/s

--
Matt Martz
CentOS Mirror Admin