[CentOS] Saving Gnome Sessions in CentOS 5.0 x86

Mike McCarty

Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 1 17:31:35 UTC 2007

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I don't have CentOS 5 running anywhere yet, but I do use Fedora Core 6
> on my laptop, and there the "Ask on Logout" works as it should.
>
> Anyway, you could save your session manually by typing this into a
> terminal:

Since you seem to use it, and find it useful, I'll ask:

Just what is the point of saving sessions?

First, some background...

I use FC2 on a desktop. I tried the "save session" and "restore session"
and I basically got NOTHING back. Apparently "save session" is a way
for those things which are GNOME aware and which use some special
hooks to save some state. No? Anyway, I run Mozilla, Thunderbird,
Acrobat Reader, and terminal sessions. I run next to nothing else.
Not any of this saves anything, AFAICS.

So, since you use it, can you tell me what saving/restoring sessions
does for you? AFAICT, it does nothing for me at all.

Maybe I'm just ignorant. I hope so.

For example, one thing I'd like to do is have my UPS signal "imminent
loss of power" and shutdown in a manner which will allow me to resume
what I was doing. Suspend to disc sounds perfect, except that my
desktop seems not to support that.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.