[CentOS] 5.0: installing everything

Steve Thompson

smt at vgersoft.com
Tue May 1 19:32:54 UTC 2007

I realize that the @everything packages option is now gone in CentOS 5.0
(ix86 and x86_64), but my experiments to date don't show how to
practically simulate the same effect (and I have a good reason for doing
so). I want all packages, all languages. If one installs from CD, and
selects all packages and options, the resulting anaconda-ks.cfg file does
not have a complete package list. For example:

- performing a kickstart install using the package list from the
full-install-from-CD anaconda-ks.cfg results in a system with only about a
third of the available packages, missing some notables such as openssl.

- A kickstart install with a wild-card glob in the packages list does not
work either; one gets a minimal install. Wild cards evidently not
supported.

- A kickstart install with a full listing of every rpm (not packages) in
the %packages section does work, but it takes _two days_ of 100% CPU to
resolve dependencies.

So, how do I determine the proper full package list to use in the
%packages section for a kickstart install? Do I have to go grubbing around
in comps.xml to find the proper package list? TIA,

Steve