[CentOS] Raid5 issues

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Tue May 1 20:10:01 UTC 2007

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:24:34PM -0400, Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>
>> I tried recreating the array, but it won't mount...
>>
>> Also a bit weird is that I did a SMART short self-test, and one of the
>> drives keeps returning a Read-Failure, but the overall SMART status is
>> passed.  Could this be from overheating?
>>

> I'm not sure. If those Read-Failure are error counts, than yes, I think
> so. The drive is currently OK, but when it had a lot of activity it
> overheated and started getting read errors.

Actually what I'm saying is that I ran smartctl and did a short test on
the drive, and it keeps returning a read error at a certain porint (LBA
271739730).  I let it cool off for a few hours, and tried the test
again, same thing.

Does this mean that the drive has developed bad sectors and needs
replacement?  These are brand new drives.  The error only happens on 1
of the 4.

>> Would letting it cool off fix
>> things, or should I call in for warranty?
>>

> Array creation creates a lot of activity for the drives, and it could
> cause them to overheat. Or cause energy flutuation if the PSU isn't
> powerfull enough, but I'd expect PSU problems when booting, not when
> writing/reading.
>
> I have an older system where I have to keep DMA disabled for my drives
> or the system locks when cron starts updatedb or someone copies a large
> file, thus my suspicion that your drives are also overheating.
>
> About calling in for the warranty, I'd first try hddtemp
> (http://www.guzu.net/linux/hddtemp.php) and if the temperature does
> rise, then some more fans. :)

I tried to get hddtemp, but alas, no compiler available in rescue mode.
I will try Knoppix.

Russ