[CentOS] Sftp slow on both our centos installs

Jamie Lists jamielist at gmail.com
Tue May 1 20:49:35 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos at freemail.gr> wrote:
> Matt Martz wrote:
> >
> > I did some quick research on google a few min ago.  Thinking back I have
> > never seen higher than 2MB/s transfer speed using sftp between a Windows
> > and Linux machine.  I have however seen much higher transfer speeds using
> > sftp/scp between 2 linux machines.
> >
> > A few people mentioned they believe the slowness is with the
> > implementation of sftp/scp/ssh in the Windows app.
> >
> > Try doing an sftp or scp transfer between the 2 CentOS machines and look
> > at the transfer rate.  You could also try doing a transfer using Cygwin or
> > maybe some other win32 ports.  However it may just be somehting strange
> > with Windows.
> >
> > ...While typing this I figured I would do some additional testing.  I
> > downloaded VanDyke SecureFX (VanDyke has some of the best SSH
> > implementations I have seen for windows).  My transfer rate was approx
> > 10MB/s on a 100Mbit connection.  Whereas with WinSCP and FileZilla it was
> > only approx 2MB/s
>

> This message reminded me that Winblowz's (at least up to XP) network
> stack is optimised for dial up speeds, and required tweaking for
> broadband. Things like "TCP Window", MTU, and other stuff I don't
> remember now anymore. I suppose you have to tweak it by yourself, there
> was an app I was using for it on the net. Don't remember it though, but
> I think a Google search will give you it.
>

> Ah, those glorious Winblowz days...

Well here's where we're at today.

FYI i'm useing a macintosh with the macintosh program transmit as the
transfer program.

The file i'm transfering back and forth is a 500 meg .iso So it's not
a bunch of little files

We worked with 2 more centos 4.4 boxes (sorry i said 4.6 in my
origional post) and have the same problem.

I turned off autoneg on the nic and got no change.
I read somewhere that kudzu caused a problem so i turned that off &
rebooted.. no change.
I disabled the firewall.. no change

Sftp upload is still stuck at 1900KB/s

Download speed with sftp is even worse, stuck at about 300KB/s
I did a scp between 2 centos boxes and the copy speed was 432KB/s

I installed VSFTP to make sure the problem wasn't with the
machines/network/configuration etc.
I was able to upload using FTP at 10874KB a sec so we know the
machine/network/disk/nic etc is up to the task.

Jamie