[CentOS] Saving Gnome Sessions in CentOS 5.0 x86

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 1 21:25:42 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> I wasn't aware that such kinds of configuration could get lost.
>> Do you mean that if you put a different background, or move
>> the "taskbar" to the top, or sth like that it gets lost if you log out?
>>
> I believe that is the way it works, although not all aspects are
> necessarily saved or forgotten that way.  Sometimes it is just for
> opened windows (they get restored when you log back in if they were
> open on logout), etc.

I just reconfigured my "task bar panel" to be at the top of the screen,
and logged out. When I logged back in, it was at the top. AIUI, the only
windows which get saved are the ones with GNOME apps in them. IOW, if
I have a terminal window with a current directory somewhere, and am
using my editor (I don't use the GNOME editor) in that window, then
nothing gets saved or restored. I have tried that before, IIRC, and
it didn't either restart the terminal window, nor the current directory,
nor my edit session.

IOW, it saves info for GNOME aware apps with special hooks, as I said.

>> I don't reconfigure anyway.
>>
> Then you probably don't need it.

If what you are trying to restore is stuff like where your panel is,
and so on, then you probably don't need it, either.

I have really a single-user system, and I rarely log off anyway.
When I have a power failure which lasts longer than my UPS can
keep things up, then I shut down.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.