[CentOS] Centos kernel does not boot, redhat does (i2o raid controller problem)

Rainer Traut

tr.ml at gmx.de
Wed May 2 09:58:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

following system:
Dell PE2650, 2 2.4ghz Xeon, 1gb ram, Dell Perc4DC Controller

It has EL5 installed, but I wanted to change to Centos because of the
missing workstation packages in the entry server repository.

The system was redhat up2date until yesterday, so the latest kernel was
missing.
I changed redhat-release to centos-release packages and the new centos
kernel was installed the via yum.

This kernel does not boot.

Error messages:
i20:iop0: Get status timeout
i20:iop0: Reset timeout
i20:iop0: could not reset controller
i20:iop0: Reset timeout
kernel panic

Here are my findings when setting emulation in scsi adapter bios to i2o:

- initial redhat el5 install fails, no adapter found (mayby centos
install is affected, too, have to set to 'mass storage' to install)
- redhat's kernel-2.6.18-8.1.1.el5 and kernel-2.6.18-8.1.3.el5 boot with
i20 enabled
- centos latest 2.6.18-8.1.3.el5 does not! error messages above
- setting to 'mass storage' all is fine

Is this really a centos kernel problem (I read in centos kernel
changelog about special centos changes), or is this for any reason
because this is actually a redhat system?

Thx
Rainer