[CentOS] No grahical install on notebook with Centos 5, did work with Centos 4

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed May 2 16:57:59 UTC 2007

Hello again.

Working to put Centos 5 on my old Toshiba Portege 3490ct (256Mb memory).
PCMCIA CDrom and Lan card.

Using 'linux askmethod' to be able to install off of my FTP server (have
done 4 PC installs so far off that server successfully)

It's video card is:

S3 86C270-294 Savage IX/MV

After recognizing the video card I get the message about no graphical
install available.  Putting on and external monitor does not change this.

Problem with the character mode install is no LVM partition management
functions.  I need to alter the default partitioning.

This IS an older notebook.  It does have Centos 4.4 on it right now.

How would I use the ftp install and specify 'acpi=no'  (perhaps the old
bios???).

Or I could build a partial kickstart file on a diskette (add the USB
diskette drive) to do the partitioning and then switch to package
selection (and maybe even in graphical mode)?

Some guidance here would be great.