[CentOS] Another CentOS 5 oddity: reboot and the X server fails to come up

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:53:12 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had to reboot my work machine today, and it came up in text mode
> (!).  I did an init 5, but that had no effect (wrong command?).  I
> killed the three gdm processes, and voila, X server mode.
>
> Where do I look to find out what is not right here?
You might want to look in your logs. /var/log/messages, and the xorg
log may shed some light on the situation.

As to just running init5, if you're already AT init5 with a failed X
session, this will only further your problem. Try using 'runlevel'
first to figure out if you're at the proper level before doing such
things.

And finally, given that there was a kernel update, if you're using
dkms modules, such as the nvidia modules from rpmforge, you may have
just not been patient enough while the module rebuilds.

George Orwell