[CentOS] CentOS 5 dual head doesn't work

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:03:56 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you using the binary ATI drivers, or the default xorg drivers? ATI
> has horrible support, and their binary driver is just as bad. Do
> yourself a favor and get an nvidia card. Still a binary driver, but at
> least they actively support their product on linux.

I'm using whatever CentOS 5 comes with - the default xorg drivers I would guess.

I can't just get a new video card - this is my company's box, so it's
their call on what cards to get with them.  The strange part is that I
was well able to limp along in CentOS 4.4 by telling s-c-d that I had
a FireGL 3200 (I think - the 3400 wasn't supported) and two Dell
1704FPs (the 1707 wasn't supported then either), and it worked 99% of
the time (except for my other thread about how it went flaky last
Thursday and did work quite right again).

I would have thought that CentOS 5 was better about this, and the
FireGL card is listed (but it doesn't work when I try to use it) and
the 1707FP is supported (but not if I go for a dual head
configuration), so ... ???

Thanks.

--
Mark Hull-Richter, Linux Kernel Engineer
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)