[CentOS] Good things about CentOS 5; problem with flash in seamonkey

Mark Hull-Richter mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed May 2 23:32:45 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is not  RHEL issue, nor is centos5 a magic bullet that cures user
> error.

I said I was hoping things would be different in this regard.  How
does that refer to a magic bullet?

> You have only yourself to blame for this.

True - expecting the same results from the same procedure when the
below comment of yours applies is obviously my fault.  Okay, it's my
fault.

> Flash works just fine
> on centos5 x86, and I have witnessed it working just fine on x86_64 as
> well, though I do not have such hardware myself.

That was also my experience, on CentOS 4.4.  It is not yet so on 5.0.

> If you want someone to blame for flash not supporting x86_64, then
> bitch to adobe.

Well, actually, I wasn't looking for someone to blame, I was looking
for assistance on what might not be right in what I've done or where
things are, not a (another?) diatribe on how I am to blame for
something not working the same way when nothing has changed, in this
regard.

BTW, I have bitched to adobe, and they paid as much attention as they
routinely do to any free product - none.  However, they also did not
insult me for making noise about a problem I encountered.

> If you want someone to blame for it not working on
> your system, find a mirror.

See above.

> > Again, this is something that I had working in CentOS 4.4 that no
> > longer works.  Disappointing.
>
> Yes it is, quite. The procedure is no different on centos5 than it was
> on centos4. The browser is the same, the file locations are the same.
> Nothing is drastically different in operation between centos4 and
> centos5 so far as the browser goes. The only explanation here is user
> error, and failure to understand where your browser puts things, and
> where it expects things to be.

Well, let's see now.  I have this:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt

Which is pretty much what I had before, except before I also had the
nspluginwrapper and its associated libraries and binaries.  On my
machine at home, which is running CentOS 4.4 Plus with the i686
seamonkey (and where the flash player actually runs, though without
sound, I have these:

/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/local/seamonkey/plugins/libflashplayer.so

So maybe I'll try restarting seamonkey after I link to its plugin
directory here, but that doesn't explain why firefox also cannot see
it.

If you know something about this all that I don't, you could tell me
instead of insulting me for not knowing it.  That might be a slightly
more effective way of reaching other subscribers as well as assisting
me, unless you just wanted to blow off some steam, in which case,
thanks for the hot air.  :-}

--
Mark Hull-Richter, Linux Kernel Engineer
DATAllegro (www.datallegro.com)