[CentOS] More CentOS5 nVidia fun

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Thu May 3 05:25:55 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the vein of the "Can't get resolution higher than 1280x1024" and
> "Another CentOS 5 oddity..." threads, I just installed CentOS5 w/Xen
> kernel on a Sony VAIO desktop with an nVidia NV5M64 (RIVA TNT2 64 Pro)
> card, using an old Samsung SyncMaster 700NF monitor.

Regarding the "Can't get resolution higher than 1280x1024" thread...I
can only speak about my case and probably the OT's.

The problem is two-fold.  First, the monitor has a bug which causes
delivery of incorrect EDID information to X when probed.  It manifests
itself when the connection is digital and the OS is 64-bit.  Analog
connection to the same monitor does not seem to suffer from this
problem in either 64-bit or 32-bit.

A possible workaround is to have X ignore the EDID data and manually
set up the parameters in xorg.conf.  I was not able to get this option
to work.  That is the second problem.  Whether this is a bug in Xorg
or in the nv driver (that I use), I have no idea.  There was a thread
relating to the EDID issue (unable to ignore) in the LKML in February.

Akemi