[CentOS] Re: Raid5 issues

Toby Bluhm tkb at midwestinstruments.com
Fri May 4 16:00:24 UTC 2007

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
> Toby Bluhm wrote:
>> Ruslan Sivak wrote:

>>> Actually I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think this is the case.  I
>>> believe the first time I set it up as a raid10, assuming that linux
>>> will just ignore it.  I installed centos by putting boot on a raid1,
>>> and root on LVM over 2 raid1 sets.  I had trouble getting it to boot.

>>> Yes, I know this is fakeraid, aka softraid, but I was hoping that
>>> using the drivers would make it easier to support raid 10 then with
>>> mdadm, which seems to be impossible to get to work with the
>>> installer.  I'm not even sure why the raid10 personality is not
>>> loaded, as it seems to have been part of the mdadm since version 1.7.

>>> I'm trying to install centos 5 - the latest.  How would I go about
>>> using dmraid and/or libata?  The installer picks up the drives as
>>> individual drives.  There is a drive on the silicon image website,
>>> but it's for RHEL4, and I couldn't get it to work.  I'm open to
>>> using md for raid, or even LVM, if it supports it.  I just want to
>>> be able to use raid10, as I can't trust raid5 anymore.
>>>

>> IIRC you had two out of four new disks die? So maybe it would be more
>> accurate to say it's your hardware you don't trust. Raid5 is used
>> without problems by ( I assume ) many, many people, myself included.
>> You could have a raid10 and still lose the whole array if two disks
>> that in the same mirror die at once. I guess no software in the world
>> can really overcome bad hardware. That's why we do backups :)
>>
>> Anyway, perhaps excersizing /stressing the disks for a few days
>> without error would make you feel more confident about the HDs.
>>

> Actually, 2 disks did not die.  Due to the fact that it was a new raid
> 5 array (or for whatever reason), it was rebuilding the array.  One of
> the drives had a media error, and this caused the whole array to be lost.
> This is exactly what this article warns about:
>
> http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

The article doesn't seem to mention the fact that if a disk in a mirror
set dies and the remaining disk within the set starts to have data
corruption problems, the mirror will be rebuilt from corrupted data.

I don't know what you can do at this point, though. Perhaps make 2
separate mirrors and rsync them?  You could keep copies of  changes that
way.