[CentOS] Re: Raid5 issues

Toby Bluhm tkb at midwestinstruments.com
Fri May 4 18:31:55 UTC 2007

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
> Toby Bluhm wrote:
>> Ruslan Sivak wrote:

>>> Actually, 2 disks did not die.  Due to the fact that it was a new
>>> raid 5 array (or for whatever reason), it was rebuilding the array.
>>> One of the drives had a media error, and this caused the whole array
>>> to be lost.
>>> This is exactly what this article warns about:
>>>
>>> http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt
>>

>> The article doesn't seem to mention the fact that if a disk in a
>> mirror set dies and the remaining disk within the set starts to have
>> data corruption problems, the mirror will be rebuilt from corrupted
>> data.
> While this is true, it's far more likely that there will be a media
> error (i.e. bad sector), and that the system will notice it.  With
> raid 5, it will just kick out the drive, and you can say bye bye to
> your data.

Perhaps not totally lost, but not fun either. Force mdadm to run ; try
to fix/relocate bad sector & force mdadm to run ; dd  to identical disk
& force mdadm to run.

> With raid 10, if it happens on one of the disks in the other set, you
> don't have a problem, and if it happens to the disk in the same set
> (not very likely),

A 1 in 3 chance of putting the two worst disks together when using 4
disk raid10.

> I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but hopefully it can recover?
> I have just had a windows drive have a whole bunch of bad sectors and
> I was still able to boot to windows, and copy most of the data off.  I
> can't imagine Linux being any worse.
>> I don't know what you can do at this point, though. Perhaps make 2
>> separate mirrors and rsync them?  You could keep copies of  changes
>> that way.
>>
> I know there is a raid10 personality for md.  I saw it in the source
> code.  I see people's boot logs all over the web that say this:
>
> md: linear personality registered as nr 1
> md: raid0 personality registered as nr 2
> md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
> md: raid10 personality registered as nr 9
> md: raid5 personality registered as nr 4
>
> Why does CentOS5 not support the raid10 personality?  Do i need to
> custom compile md?  Do I need to custom compile the kernel?
> Russ

You have enlightened me to the raid10 module:

[root at tikal ~]#  locate raid10
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.3.EL-smp-i686/include/config/md/raid10
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.3.EL-smp-i686/include/config/md/raid10/module.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.3.EL-smp-i686/include/linux/raid/raid10.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.10.EL-i686/include/config/md/raid10
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.10.EL-i686/include/config/md/raid10/module.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.10.EL-i686/include/linux/raid/raid10.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.3.EL-i686/include/config/md/raid10
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.3.EL-i686/include/config/md/raid10/module.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.0.3.EL-i686/include/linux/raid/raid10.h
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.3.EL/kernel/drivers/md/raid10.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.10.EL/kernel/drivers/md/raid10.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/md/raid10.ko

[root at tikal ~]#  modprobe raid10

[root at tikal ~]#  lsmod | grep raid
raid10                 23233  0
raid1                  20033  1

This is not a Centos 5 machine though, it's SL4.4.

--
Toby Bluhm
Midwest Instruments Inc.