[CentOS] Re: Raid5 issues

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Sat May 5 16:16:13 UTC 2007

William Warren wrote:
> rus,
>
> This is critical
>
> turn off the raid functions of your bios.  You must do this or the
> fakeraid of the bios WILL interfere with md's ability to perform.
> Then try building the md raid.

William,

This might be a bit of a problem.  The computer is quite old, and I had
to get a raid card just to be able to connect sata drives to it.  The
bios boot order only lists the cdrom (I can't even get it to boot from
floppy).  The only way I can get it to boot off these hard drives is if
I have them in some sort of raid set up through the card's bios (even
concatenation works).  Unfortunatelly, with concatenation, if 1 drive
dies, I am forced to recreate the array, which kills things.

I think I need to use the fakeraid driver.  It keeps popping up anyway
with weird error messages.  For example, when there is no raid set up, I
keep getting something like this:

Error adding sda to set silxxxxxxx: Raid type 234 is not supported.
(This is from memory, so probably not exactly correct).

I tried updating the bios, but I can't even seem to do that.  It won't
boot off the floppy, and when I boot of any dos based cdrom, I can't see
the floppy.  (I have external usb floppy.  The internal one doesn't seem
to work).

Russ