[CentOS] Installing from a custom kernel

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Sun May 6 15:05:51 UTC 2007

I believe anaconda only supports installation on raid0 and raid1.

What you can do in your setup, since it is only a 4 disk setup is:

create 4 128MB raid partitions at the start of each drive for a
/dev/md0 raid1 with 2 spares, create an ext3 fs for /boot on it

create 4 raid partitions of the remaining spaces, create a /dev/md1
with 2 drives, and a /dev/md2 with 2 drives.

make /dev/md1 and /dev/md2 lvm volumes

create a volume group of /dev/md1 and /dev/md2, say called CentOS,

create a 'root' logical volume of say 16G with an interleave of 2,
create a 'swap' logical volume of say 4G with an interleave of 2

There you go, it might not be the clean raid10 you envisioned, but
it will work the same, plus you may find using lvm for the striping
has some advantages.

1) Recognized by most/all grubs in 2.6

2) will allow migration of data to/from other volume groups

3) it's resizeable and reconfigurable

Once RAID10 is setup and your data is on-board, there isn't much
reconfiguration that can be done.

-Ross