[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Tue May 8 12:15:35 UTC 2007

> I have 4 500GB drives.  Seems kind of a waste to put just /boot swap and
> / on the first 2 drives.
> Unfortunately this is my backup server, and also file server.  While I
> may move the file server part out to another box in the future, for now
> it's going to be serving two roles.  I would like to be able to depend
> on it.
> In the future I might set up a backup of this server to be on Amazon's
> S3.  Is there a linux program that interfaces with it?

If this is a file server too, may I suggest that you keep system stuff
separate from your data like Les says he does? Did you have to get real
old stuff for your add-on 'raid' controller? A newer and less quirky
si3124 based controller cannot be much more expensive than what you have
given that you have a four port card.

Please put boot and /tmp (maybe 512MB/1GB each) on its own mirrored
partition, then make two nice big mirrors from the rest and use lvm to
stripe them. That way, you don't have to make a lot of partitions to
balance usage to get a four big partitions to get your 'raid10' array.
anaconda supports this kind of configuration easily and you can also
create the volumes for swap, /, whatever_you_fancy_partition, maybe
/opt, /usr/local, /home with anaconda.