[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Tue May 8 16:47:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 02:26:46PM +0000, Russ enlightened us:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "get real old stuff for your controller".  The controller is brand new, although the pc is a few years old.  The controller is si3114 based.  What's so quirky about it vs si3124?
>
> Here's the way I plan to set things up.  Please let me know if this is worse then what you suggest.
>
> 4 partitions per drive
> 1st partition - 200 mb
> 2nd partition - 250 mb
> 3rd partition - 5gb
> 4th partition - 745gb
>
> Md0 raid 1 with 2 spares - 1st partition of all drives - /boot
> Md1 raid0 - 2nd partition of all drives - swap
> Md2 raid6 - 3rd partition of all drives - /
>
> After install create
> Md10 raid10 - 4th partition of all drives - /data
>
> What advantages, if any, would lvm have over this set up?

I would not make swap a RAID 0. Ever. It is fairly rare on systems to
actually use swap, so they don't need to be *that* fast. And if you lose a
drive, the system might chug along nicely until you try to access swap, in
which case I imagine the machine would crap all over itself. I would make
those partitions RAID 1, or perhaps a pair of RAID 1 md's with equal
priority.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak