[CentOS] Suggestions for partition

Andreas Micklei andreas.micklei at ivistar.de
Wed May 9 13:58:24 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch, 9. Mai 2007 schrieb Feizhou:
> > HW vs SW RAID: Kind of a religious question. HW has some advantages when
> > using RAID-5 or RAID-6 (less CPU load). When using RAID-0 or RAID-1 there
> > should not be any difference performance wise. HW RAID gives you some
> > advantages in terms of handling, i.e. hotplugging of discs, nice
> > administration console, RAID-10 during install ;-), etc. It's up to you
> > to decide whether it is worth the money. Plus you need to find a
> > controller that is well supported in Linux.
>
> Hardware raid that comes with bbu write caches normally have a speed
> boost in addition to the extra data safety too.

Also on RAID-0 and RAID-1? I have only used HW RAID without bbu, so I have no
experience with that. However you can tweak your filesystem and disks to do
write caching too, especially if you have plenty of RAM. Of course this means
living dangerously, so when you need performance and data safety HW RAID with
bbu is the only option of course.

> > P.p.s. Creating one swap partition on each disc is correct, because
> > swapping to RAID-0 is useless. Only if you decide to use RAID-1 for the
> > whole disc you should also swap to RAID-1.
>
> creating one swap partition on each disc is equivalent to swapping to
> raid 0...linux automatically strips/spreads swap data to all available
> swap areas.

Exactly my point. According to the HOWTO swapping to RAID-0 even performs
worse IIRC.

--
Andreas Micklei
IVISTAR Kommunikationssysteme AG

Handelsregister: Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 75173
Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE207795030
Vorstand: Dr.-Ing. Dirk Elias
Aufsichtsratsvorsitz: Dipl.-Betriebsw. Frank Bindel