[CentOS] CentOS 5 and the nvidia driver

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 10:31:04 UTC 2007

> Has anyone with an nvidia video card had issues with CentOS 5 so far?
>
> I've been holding off on installing 5 at home because of the
> trouble I've been having with my video here at work, but here
> I have that lovely ATI card and there I have a geFORCE 7100gs
> and am, so far, successfully using the nvidia driver with
> CentOS 4.4 without significant problems.
>
> Just wondering....

I've just installed Centos 5 on my x86_64 desktop with an nvidia Quadro NVS
280 PCI card and it works perfectly out of the box, without having to
recompile the nvidia driver.  I'm using the stock nv driver that came with
Centos 5.  For CentOS 4, I had to recompile the driver.  Not anymore.  I'll
update whether I see any problems down the road but seems ok so far.

If I check video card information in Display Settings, it says nv model is
for GeForce, nForce, and QUADRO cards.  nv never used to work for me for
CentOS 4 so don't take this to mean it'll necessarily work with your GeForce
card.

Michael