[CentOS] Assertion failure in __journal_drop_transaction()

Dave Augustus

davea at ingraftedsoftware.com
Mon May 14 16:46:09 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Last night a server of mine went belly up with my remote log server
telling me this log entry:

kernel: Assertion failure in __journal_drop_transaction() at
fs/jbd/checkpoint.c:615: "transaction->t_forget == NULL"

During this time, we had high email loads and I have my
2 /var/spool/postfix_1 and /var/spool/postfix_2 partitions mounted with
"data=journal" option. ( I have 2 instances of PF installed).

A hard reboot was required and all appears fine now.

However, I had another server that had similar symptoms 48 hours
earlier.

Same partition setup, same applications.

Both running:

Centos 4.4
kernel 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp

Ideas?