[CentOS] Centos policy?

Tue May 15 21:10:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 10:30 -0700, Bogdan Nicolescu wrote:
> Just wondering....
>
> What is Centos policy regarding the use of Centos in a strictly
> commercial product?
>
> For example: http://www.instantogo.com/

Others in this thread have discussed that so long as a company follows
the licensing requirements of the individual packages that people can
use CentOS in this way.  So, whether we like it or not, CentOS can and
will be used this way.

However, I want to say that the CentOS Project is 100% supportive of the
use of CentOS in this way.  Everyone wins, even if people charge for the
product.  Making money is not evil ... we all have to pay the rent.

We are also 100% supportive of projects that are totally free (as in
beer) and give their sources to everyone.  We wish that everyone who
used CentOS would do that, but as long as they follow the licensing
requirements we are fine with people using CentOS in their projects.  In
fact, we would much rather projects (commercial or not) use CentOS
instead of any other distro.  We think CentOS is the best distro out
there to base your product on .. and would be happy to work with people
to help them do that.

We would expect that groups who use centos as a base for their product,
and who make money from that product, would donate monetarily to the
CentOS project.  We hope to see InstantGo do that as they gain
customers.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes