[CentOS] Disk accounting with LVM Snapshots

Mike Fedyk

mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Wed May 16 01:04:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I was reading a lot of data from one LVM logical volume and wanted to
watch the disk statistics with iostat today.  To my surprise, I was
seeing the same activity on two logical volumes (LV) and the physical
disk containing the two.

A little investigation showed that one LV was a snapshot of the other,
and I was reading from one of the snapshots.

While I understand that the two LVs share some common Logical Extents
(LE), I believe it is a bug that the disk statistics show the activity
on both logical volumes.

Should I report this in the centos bugzilla or upstream's bts?

Thanks,

Mike Fedyk