[CentOS] Introduction

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Wed May 16 01:10:15 UTC 2007

Daniel de Kok a écrit :

> You should know that rebuilding the kernel is strongly discouraged (and
> unsupported). If a driver freezes the kernel, we should preferably get
> the driver fixed.

Yeah, I saw that. Except I have quite a few machines that shipped with
the RT2561 wireless card (not my choice). I can't ask to replace these
by something better supported, because I know the answer will be "no".
And according to the forum on http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com, the driver
developers find it perfectly normal that the driver freezes with SMP
enabled in the kernel... and expect you to build a kernel without it.

Unfortunately I have no programming skills, so I have to do with that. I
know it's a PITA.

> How about
>
> yum install nvidia-x11-drv
> or
> yum install dkms-ipw3945
>
> ? to name just two examples. Seems less cumbersome to me :).

Yeah, that looks pretty nice. I'll see what it looks like in daylight.
Gotta sleep.

Niki
--
Dyslexics have more fnu.