[CentOS] Make Raid1 2nd disk bootable?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 16 21:51:55 UTC 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

>> On earlier versions of Centos, I could boot the install CD in rescue
>> mode, let it find and mount the installed system on the HD even when it
>> was just one disk of RAID1 partitions (type=FD).   When booting from the
>> centos5 disk the attempt find the system gives a box that says 'You
>> don't have any Linux partitions'.  At the bottom of the screen there is
>> something that says:
>

> Are you trying to install grub on the second disk of a software raid 1
> array because anaconda STILL does not properly setup grub on both
> disks during install?

I'm not sure now but I think so.  I'm in the process of updating several
nearly identical boxes that have swappable drives by building the system
disks with all programs installed on a spare box, then swapping them
into the real servers and changing the IP, hostname and fstab entries
for other drives on that machine.  Before the swap I pull one of the
raid mirrors as the starting point for the next clone, re-sync to a new
drive, then swap the pair with the production server.  I think the one I
had that didn't boot was the original 2nd drive, meaning the install
didn't set it up right.  I've never worried about that much before
though, since the install disk in rescue mode would always boot and
mount the drives whether grub had been installed or not.   And an
auto-install is probably going to be wrong on either IDE or scsi since
one usually shifts positions and one doesn't after a failure.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com