[CentOS] Re: confused with 2 boxes centos 5

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri May 18 23:14:41 UTC 2007

Jerry Geis spake the following on 5/18/2007 12:28 PM:
>  Hi All,
>
> I had a box centos5 AMD64 X2 4200+, Asus motherboard, Nvidia 7100 video
> card, 512M,
> when playing a video at 1080p it did well but had a couple times went
> out of sync.
>
> So amd dropped its price and I got a 5200+, gigabyte motherboard, Nvidia
> 7100 video card, 512M.
> This FASTER system is actually slower. The video is WAY behind on sync.
>
> I have looked at the X config they are the same.
> I have the same mplayer version
> I have the same centos 5 version
> The CPU usage is actuall below 60.
> I ran "cpuspeed -C &" on both boxes
>
> /proc/cpuinfo on both boxes report the correct values.
> 4200+, 512cache, clocked at 2200
> 5200+ 1024 cache, clocked at 2600
>
> What can be causing the faster machine to SUCK so bad at playing the
> video back?
> THanks,
>
> Jerry
It could be the interaction between processor, memory, bios (motherboard),
chipset, and a host of other things.
The best test would be only changing ONE component at a time.
Are both chips socket AM2?
If so, try the 5200+ in the Asus board, or the 4200+ in the Gigabyte board.

Are both boards using a pair of ram sticks in the proper slots to get memory
interleaving properly?

There are so many variables to look at.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...