[CentOS] Centos5, Compiz, and Nvidia

fredex

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun May 20 20:37:26 UTC 2007

Hi!

Just did a TEST install of centos5 on an old PIII box.

one of the things I wanted to see was the fancy desktop eye-candy of
compiz and/or beryl.

This box has a nvidia 6600 series card, and I've isntalled the Nvidia
drivers (download from nvidia and run their installer).

I used the software updater to install compiz (didn't show up on original
install, perhaps I didn't hold my tongue the right way. :)

So, how do I run compiz?

Found "enable desktop effects", click it, and it says "could not enable
desktop effects". Not very informative.

From a command line, just type "compiz" and it comes back with
"no sync extension".

Anyone know what else I need to do?