[CentOS] recompiling kernel results in error: .../linux-2.6.18.i686/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:51:26 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, dcw <dwoody1 at charter.net> wrote:
> When I use the i386 the compile continues.
> However, I had to edit the SOURCE config file after running make xconfig.
> That command altered the first line of the config file.
>
> Will post the results of the compile when completed. My best guess is it will
> take about 7 - 8 hours.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Yes, I was about to say the same thing.  In fact, the arch name (i386)
gets deleted twice.  First, when rpmbuild -bp is run.  But this is not
a problem by itself, because in the next step .config is copied from
SOURCE which has the correct first line.  Then the second time is when
make menuconfig (or xconfig) is run as you noted.  This is the
problem.  At this point, arch needs to be added back manually to
.config as just you did.

I really want to why menuconfig does not do it right.

Akemi