[CentOS] 64 Bit?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon May 21 16:45:14 UTC 2007

Once again there's stuff I understand and more stuff I really don't
understand.  I think the answer is: "This is not a 64-bit CPU, but I'm
not 100% sure.

Interesting /proc/cpuinfo is slightly different on the hostOS for
VMware ESX Server, an
odd proprietary cousin of Red Hat, and a CentOS5 x86 VM.

here's the info from the host OS cpu

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 3.16GHz
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 3169.453
cache size      : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm lm
bogomips        : 6330.77

Hmm.  There's two processors in there with sockets for more.  But I
only see info for one
CPU.

and heres the info from the Guest

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 3.16GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 3169.074
cache size      : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss constant_tsc up
pni ds_cpl
bogomips        : 6441.62