[CentOS] Re: 64 Bit?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon May 21 18:05:58 UTC 2007

drew einhorn spake the following on 5/21/2007 10:30 AM:
> Thanks, Is there a guide somewhere on how to read the cpu info.
>
> I do remember seeing stuff about hyperthreading on this box.
> Does hyperthreading imply 64 bit.
>
> Here's the cpu from another box that has hyperthreading, but I
> was assuming it was not 64 bit.  Can I run a 64-bit kernel on this one?
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 2
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
> stepping        : 5
> cpu MHz         : 3392.058
> cache size      : 2048 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up
> cid xtpr
> bogomips        : 6789.18
>

> On 5/21/07, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>
> wrote:
>> drew einhorn spake the following on 5/21/2007 9:45 AM:
>> > Once again there's stuff I understand and more stuff I really don't
>> > understand.  I think the answer is: "This is not a 64-bit CPU, but I'm
>> > not 100% sure.
>> >
>> > Interesting /proc/cpuinfo is slightly different on the hostOS for
>> > VMware ESX Server, an
>> > odd proprietary cousin of Red Hat, and a CentOS5 x86 VM.
>> >
>> > here's the info from the host OS cpu
>> >
>> > processor       : 0
>> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>> > cpu family      : 15
>> > model           : 4
>> > model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 3.16GHz
>> > stepping        : 1
>> > cpu MHz         : 3169.453
>> > cache size      : 1024 KB
>> > fdiv_bug        : no
>> > hlt_bug         : no
>> > f00f_bug        : no
>> > coma_bug        : no
>> > fpu             : yes
>> > fpu_exception   : yes
>> > cpuid level     : 5
>> > wp              : yes
>> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
>> > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm lm
>> > bogomips        : 6330.77
>> >
>> > Hmm.  There's two processors in there with sockets for more.  But I
>> > only see info for one
>> > CPU.
>> >
>> > and heres the info from the Guest
>> >
>> > processor       : 0
>> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
>> > cpu family      : 15
>> > model           : 4
>> > model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) MP CPU 3.16GHz
>> > stepping        : 8
>> > cpu MHz         : 3169.074
>> > cache size      : 1024 KB
>> > fdiv_bug        : no
> [...]
No, hyperthreading does not imply 64 bits, but that model Xeon is an EMT64
processor. I just happen to know because I have a couple in service. I don't
think you will be able to run 64 bit guests though. You need a newer processor
with the VT option.

This is the most reliable method to ID an Intel processor;
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-015823.htm

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and