[CentOS] vmware tools in CentOS5 guest?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon May 21 23:14:22 UTC 2007

Another option is to use the proprietary NX software from
NoMachine.  It's free as in beer, but not free as in freedom,
or open source.  The have made the server side free as in
freedom and it is the basis of freenx.  They did not make
the client side free and you have to use their client with
freenx, unless there is a newer free client I am unaware of.

The VMware console IS VERY sluggish even if you are
on a local 10 Base T ethernet.  But once I get a VM up
and configured with the NoMachine NX client and server
the response is tolerable for remote access over a pitiful
128K ISDN line.  But getting a remote VM up and
running can be very painful until you get things configured
well enough to not need the VMware console anymore.

I wish VMware would license the NoMachine software
and get the VMware console to be more responsive.

On 5/21/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ken Key wrote:
> > Paul Norton wrote:
> >  > Either of you notice poor performance?  My mouse is jumpy and freezes,
> >  > especially when I try to resize a terminal window.  The whole thing
> >  > feels slugish.  This is with vmware workstation 6 and either Lunar Linux
> >  > or Ubuntu as a host.  I'm sure other distros as hosts.
> >
> > I didn't noticed any sluggishness, but this was a quick
> > graphical side project (a KDE kiosk) so  I really don't
> > have a good baseline to compare it with.  I mainly use VMware
> > Server with run-level 3 guests running tinderbox builds.  I
> > recently reinstalled the host OS to CentOS 5/VMware Server
> > 1.03 and the builds are +/- 1min wall clock what they were.
>
> You don't have to use the vmware console.  After you are up and running
> you can use ssh, vnc, an XDM login, or freenx just like you would for
> remote access to a physical machine.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com