[CentOS] Printers?

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Tue May 22 03:52:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 11:27 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     Where can I find a list of supported USB printers for Centos5?
> We're looking to add a printer to our system that can print out a full
> 8.5x11 sheet that has a peel off label on it.  So I need something
> supported, and I need to figure out what to use to spit this stuff out.
> The data is coming in as a PDF file...

The nice thing about USB printers is that they all have the same
low-level interface, usblp. Now all you need to do is find one that
supports PostScript (preferably) or PCL, and *doesn't* have "host-based
printing" (marketroid speak for "our printer is as dumb as a rock, so
our proprietary driver does the hard work instead". See
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl07860 for HP's own take on it).