[CentOS] Simple Install of x86_64 CentOS 5 is failing

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu May 24 14:03:47 UTC 2007

"James Olin Oden" <james.oden at gmail.com> wrote:

> It gets all the way through the install, and then when it reboots,
> grub can't find the kernel.  Grub can't find the kernel because the
> kernel was not instaled for some reason?  I looked at the box through
> rescue mode and in /boot there is no kernel.
>
> Any ideas what might have happened?
>
> Cheers...james
Nice clean x86_64 install here:

[dave at spindle ~]# uname -a
Linux spindle.local.davenjudy.org 2.6.21.1 #1 SMP Wed May 16 21:19:02
MDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[dave at spindle ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5 (Final)
[dave at spindle ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 15
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm
3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips        : 1995.39
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

This is on a HP Pavilion zv6015us laptop.  The only problem I has was
getting the wireless working.  Loading bcm43xx froze the system.  I went
back to ndiswrapper which had a less dramatic stability problem that
went away with the 1.43 version.  I also went to the current kernel from
kernel.org since that way the laptop's SD card reader works.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce