[CentOS] Squid +Yum = apt-cacher?

Matt Martz mdmartz at gflug.net
Thu May 24 16:29:15 UTC 2007

>>> I know up2date can be configured to save all RPMs it
>>> installs/upgrades.  Can yum be made to do the same.  If so, have 1
>>> server connect to the mirrors, have it save all the rpms into a
>>> directory, run createrepo every so often to update the directory, and
>>> share out that directory with ftp or http so that your other servers
>>> can download the packages.

You could do something like this:

http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/07/22/1718242&tid=42

I believe you will need to configure keepcache=1 on yum.conf

You could use a post install script to make the necessary modifications to
the files in /etc/yum.repos.d so that all of the servers point to a
centralized repo server for yum updates.

You just need to be careful when setting up your local repository
following this method.  Because if you don't do an everything install on
your repo box you could run into a problem when trying to install packages
that the repo doesn't have the package.

--
Matt Martz
CentOS Mirror Admin