[CentOS] Squid +Yum = apt-cacher?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:58:28 UTC 2007

Lorenzo wrote:
> Les Mikesell ha scritto:
>
>> What you need is a yum that always uses the same URL to request the
>> same file.  The default is to pick something randomly from a list of
>> mirrors.
>
> Is there a way to tell squid that even if coming from different mirror
> it is always the same file?

No, but squid has a hook for a redirector. If you did some work you
might be able to force the request for the mirror lists to redirect to
your own server which would return a list with only one repository. Of
course you have to repeat that work for every distro/version/repository.

This used to 'just work' in Centos3 since the repos all had the same
name and used round robin dns to distribute the load and maybe it does
again in Centos5 - I thought I'd seen something about some work being
done.  But with Centos4 and the fedoras the mirrorlist would usually
give you something different every time and fill up the cache with
multiple copies.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com