[CentOS] Re: Centos really slow as VMware Server guest OS

Brent L. Bates

blbates at vigyan.com
Fri May 25 14:58:24 UTC 2007

     I thought some people here might like to know what we just found out
while trying to get VMWare running under CentOS 5.  Before we found the note
about changing VMWare from 2 to 1 CPU's, we went to `Edit' -> `Preferences' ->
`Memory' and changed the memory option to:

	Fit All virtual memory into reserved host RAM

It had been set to the next option down, second out of 3 (we don't have the
system any more to see what it said word for word).  This had a HUGE effect on
performance.  Before the change, it would take several minutes to do anything
under VMWare.  Startups and shutdowns were dog slow.  Turning off the swap
options helped a lot.  After that, we also changed from 2 to 1 CPU's and that
helped a little bit, but the memory option change had the biggest effect.
 Just thought you might like to know.