[CentOS] Coping music from tapes

Jean Figarella jfigarella at vecna.com
Fri May 25 19:38:23 UTC 2007

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: CentOS 5.0 x86.
>
> Hi, I have some old music tapes and a walkman, and want to move the
> music to mp3 format. So far I am thinking to use Audacity to record the
> music to wavs, and then do not know, somehow I will compress the wavs to
> mp3s as vbr 192 Kbps with something.
>

> Has anyone done this? What app did you use for recording the music from
> the tapes and what app did you use to make it mp3? Unfortunately my mp3
> player doesn't support ogg vorbis, so this is not an option.
>

> Thanks in advance.

I have done lps and tapes to mp3.

I used to have an maudio audiophile 2496 audio card to which I had the
tape or lp deck connected to, but a good soundblaster  or any other
audio card should do the trick. I basically used Audacity to record to
WAV, and then Audacity again to fix and or enhance the file and then to
  encode to mp3. Mp3 as vbr 192 Kbps is good enough as you will not get
better sound quality out of the analog sound source.

Jean