[CentOS] Remote system up/down monitoring tool?

Frank M. Ramaekers FRamaekers at ailife.com
Tue May 29 16:00:34 UTC 2007

From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Tony Mountifield
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:24 AM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: [CentOS] Remote system up/down monitoring tool?

I have a small number of boxes in different locations, and currently
have
a fairly crude cron job running on each, which does a ping of one or
more
of the other boxes, and if the ping fails, it emails me to say the other
box might be down. It then emails me again the next time the other box
appears to be up.

Of course, this can't distinguish between the remote box really being
down
and there being a network problem somewhere between the local and remote
boxes.

I've been mulling over the idea of a more sophisticated scheme, where
a number of boxes send each other messages, indicating not only their
presence, but which other boxes they believe to be up. Then if a box
goes down, the other boxes all see it has gone and agree that it really
is down. However, if there is instead a network outage or routing flap
so that a box is reachable from some places but not all, it might be
possible to distinguish this case.

So my question is: does anyone know of an existing too that does this
sort of thing?

Cheers
Tony

--
Tony Mountifield
Check out Hobbit, supports many platforms (son of Big Brother):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hobbit/

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer; MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Company
Phone: (254) 761-6649     Fax: (254) 741-5777

This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is solely for the use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at PrivacyAct at ailife.com.