[CentOS] wich apc ups?

Dan Halbert halbert at bbn.com
Tue May 29 19:11:33 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 5/29/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Watts =  Volts x Amps. I usually use a sliding scale based on # of
>> machines.
>>

> I knew that (duh!).
Watts = Volt-Amps IF the power factor is =1. Power factor is based on
the reactance of the load.  A purely resistive load has a PF=1. Google
<< watts vs volt-amps >> for more info, e.g.
http://www.vabiomed.org/documents/tech0003.htm.

The power supplies I have measured in servers have a power factor close
to 1. But I have measured consumer machines with a power factor
considerably different than 1. That cute little power meter mentioned
earlier in this thread (the "Kill-a-Watt") will measure it.

Dan