[CentOS] wich apc ups?

Thomas Harold tgh at tgharold.com
Tue May 29 19:24:41 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 5/29/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Watts =  Volts x Amps. I usually use a sliding scale based on # of
>> machines.
>
> That has to be the stupidest marketing strategy ever devised.  Most
> people (yeah, me too) know that, but why can't they SAY so instead of
> using "VA"?...

Actually, I think there's a technical reason why they don't say 1500W
instead of 1500VA.  And if you look at the specs for the 1500VA unit, it
doesn't work out to 1500W.

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500

Output Power Capacity 980 Watts / 1440 VA
Max Configurable Power 980 Watts / 1440 VA
Nominal Output Voltage 120V

I don't remember enough of my electrical stuff to say why (it has to do
with DC to AC conversion... I think... and maybe some RMS stuff?).