[CentOS] Can't get resolution higher than 1280x1024 - Centos 5

Thu May 3 00:41:35 UTC 2007
Paul <unix at bikesn4x4s.com>

On Wed, May 2, 2007 2:00 pm, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> I have a similar problem as the OP.  I'm trying to configure a Dell
> 2407WFPb LCD monitor at its native resolution of 1920x1200 on CentOS
> 4.4 system.  But I could only get to 1600x1200 in system-config-
> display.  If I manually edit the xorg.conf file to include 1920x1200
> and restart the X server, that resolution disappears from the
> xorg.conf file.
>
> CentOS doesn't know about the 2407WFPb; the closest is the 2405FPW,
> so I manually set it to use this.  Looking at the specs for these two
> monitors, they seem to have the exact same horizontal and vertical
> frequencies for 1920x1200 (74.0 kHz and 60.0 MHz), which are in the
> range specified in xorg.conf.
>
> I've also tried to set the monitor to "Generic 1920x1200 LCD), but I
> still don't get that mode as an option.  I am offered 1920x1440, but
> I don't think the monitor can support that.  BTW, I am using the DVI
> output of an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 card, and I am running the closed
> source NVIDIA driver.
>
> Any thoughts on what I can try next to support the native 1920x1200
> resolution?

I'm not a big fan of gui's cause the limitation is placed on the gui and
not the program/application.  Whenever I get time, I'm gonna start jumpin
in and hack'n till its fixed.  ;->  I use linux and solaris for server
comand line mode usually.  Once in a while I try various Linux flavors for
my main home desktop use, but I usually go back to you know what cause my
patience is lost.  But it does seem to be getting better.  Some day.