[CentOS] Re: ssh with proxy?

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Thu Nov 1 14:26:26 UTC 2007

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> What is the recommended way to ssh through a proxy?  I've been using
> putty, compiled from source, as it has a proxy option, but a native option
> would be very nice.

If I understand what you want to do, you can use the builtin ssh
ProxyCommand

Let's say you want to connect from your home machine to various machines
in the .imag.fr domain, going through sshgate.imag.fr (the only host in
imag.fr that is accessible by ssh from the outside).

On the home client, make a file called config in your ~/.ssh/ dir.

Mine looks something like this:

[nico at localhost ~]$ cat ~/.ssh/config
Host *.imag
User nico
ProxyCommand ssh nico at sshgate.imag.fr "nc $(basename %h .imag) %p"

Then I can type "ssh host1.imag", and it works. It's also fine with
sftp, scp, and pretty much anything that runs over ssh.
nc has to be installed on sshgate, but it most probably is (might be
called netcat).
You have to type 2 passwords unless you use ssh key authentication,
which you should (at least between home and sshgate).

hope this helps.
Nico TM