[CentOS] anyone using DBMail?

Florin Andrei

florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Nov 3 00:27:15 UTC 2007

I am currently using Cyrus IMAPd, and been using it for a long time, the
main reason being that I want an IMAP server with nice server-side
filtering, which Cyrus provides via Sieve. Given that Sieve is
integrated with Squirrelmail, all is good.

Or is it?
Cyrus IMAPd is powerful, but it's a complete mess to upgrade, either
when upgrading the software per se, or when upgrading the whole OS.
There are just too many "moving parts", complicated by the fact that it
interacts with SELinux. And so on.
So I'm kind of starting to hate it.

But recently Freshmeat reminded me of DBMail:

http://www.dbmail.org/

And today I noticed that DBMail uses Sieve. Very nice!

Now, storing email in a database might be a controversial idea. I can
definitely see at the same time some advantages, but also some
disadvantages. However, for an IMAP server that essentially is used only
by two people, I don't think the database per se can be a problem.

So, what I'm asking is:

Anybody here using DBMail? Any success stories? Horror stories? "Meh"
stories?
If I do end up using it, most likely I'll use ver 2.2.5 (available in
the EPEL repo) with CentOS 5, probably with a MySQL backend (but I'm not
sure yet, SQLite might be another option).

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/